Beldon Dominello on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:20:36 +0100

[PLUG] Back from the dead

Hello all!  It's been about three months since I've turned off the mail from
the list-- to give me time to settle in.

Things are cool here in connecticut.  I miss the PLUG meetings (there don't
seem to be any LUGs in my immediate area) but I'm workign with the local
school district to start a high school and (possibly) junior high school
level group.  I'll get the kids involved in programming and computer
recycling.  There is already a computer club at the high school, but they're
working on a robotics competition until the Spring.  Their advisor is very
interested in my ideas, though, and we seem to get along (although he is
somewhat less of a techie than I might think).

Work is interesting.  I'm involved in the implementation of Java stored
procedures in DB2 on the mainframe, so I'll soon get to play with the Big
Iron.  There's also a pilot program for Linux on the mainframe coming down
the pike, and I'll be involved in that as well.  I'm also having to learn
Webshpere (on AIX) and XML (on everything).  My brain hurts, but I'm having
fun.

Well, enough re-introduction.  It's good to be back-- well, for me anyways!

--
The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age
brings wisdom.