Bob Razler on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 14:57:00 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

I think swapping the platters might be a problem.  I think the slightest bit
of dust on the platters would cause it damage during operation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Guillermo Moyna [mailto:g.moyna@usip.edu]
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 1:55 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

OK,

>Are there any other drives on the controller?  Is the controller
>still good?  Is the drive getting the proper power?  How long had the
>drive been running since its last power down?

I plugged an identical HDD to the controller and it works, so I think
it is either 'sticktion' or bad electronics. My feeling is
electronics, as something may have gone poop with the power-outage.
Now, has anyone tried swapping either the platters/electronics from
one disk to another? If so, what what should I do, and should I AVOID
doing?

TIA,

Guillermo

>On the possitive side, I hear that those drives come with a very good
>warranty.  Is it true that Seagate will replace the drive and recover
>the data?  Still, that's no replacement for a backup plan!
>
>(For future reference, a "small" 18GB drive would fit on a tape
>and/or it could be mirrored with another 18GB partition.)
>
>As an extreme, last resort solution, you could move the platters to a
>new drive to recover the data.  Even if the heads crashed, they could
>not have taken out the entire disk.  More than likely it's just a
>case of "sticktion" or bad electronics.
>

> > Over the weekend, facilities shut the power down, and all our
> > machines went down (duh...). Anyway, I rebooted all machines with
> > no problems, but when I tried to restart our cluster, chaingang, I
> > got a little message from the initial Adaptec controller, saying
> > something like 'Can't get the device to do this and that'... Also,
> > the initial spinning that is audible when you reboot the machine is
> > gone (i.e., I don't think the disk is even spinning up. It's a 18GB
> > Seagate Cheetah (SCSI). Needless to say, all the data in that drive
> > is critical, and no, it has not been backed up (why back up, to
> > miss the opportunity of having these fun-filled weekends?).
> >
> > Any, I repeat, ANY, idea, suggestion, or solution to this will be
> > greatly appreciated.

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

  "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
   All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu