Guillermo Moyna on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:50:33 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

Are there any other drives on the controller?  Is the controller
still good?  Is the drive getting the proper power?  How long had the
drive been running since its last power down?

The drive had been running for ~ 2 months, and it was purchased ~ 2 years ago. The drive is getting power (I measured it with a tester), there is another drive on the same controller, which is recognized and spins up properly...

On the possitive side, I hear that those drives come with a very good
warranty.  Is it true that Seagate will replace the drive and recover
the data?  Still, that's no replacement for a backup plan!

Yeah, I had to send them something once. They wiped the data, though...

(For future reference, a "small" 18GB drive would fit on a tape
and/or it could be mirrored with another 18GB partition.)

Yeah, I know. But as a college prof. you don't get much time to monkey around computer 'maintenance' duties. You end up doing the bare minimum, which in this case looks like will come back to bite me in the arse.

As an extreme, last resort solution, you could move the platters to a
new drive to recover the data.  Even if the heads crashed, they could
not have taken out the entire disk.  More than likely it's just a
case of "sticktion" or bad electronics.

I was thinking about this. I would need at least the electronics/mechanics of the same make model drive, right? I think I can do this, but I am willing to do it is someone else out there tells me that they've done it and it worked...

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu