Guillermo Moyna on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:30:22 +0100

[PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

Dear All,

Over the weekend, facilities shut the power down, and all our machines went down (duh...). Anyway, I rebooted all machines with no problems, but when I tried to restart our cluster, chaingang, I got a little message from the initial Adaptec controller, saying something like 'Can't get the device to do this and that'... Also, the initial spinning that is audible when you reboot the machine is gone (i.e., I don't think the disk is even spinning up. It's a 18GB Seagate Cheetah (SCSI). Needless to say, all the data in that drive is critical, and no, it has not been backed up (why back up, to miss the opportunity of having these fun-filled weekends?).

Any, I repeat, ANY, idea, suggestion, or solution to this will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Guillermo
+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu