Bill Patterson on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:10:37 +0100

[PLUG] OT OEM software

The problem with buying a PC at Best Buy for the installation of Linux is
that you have to first be sure that it is not physically bound to the M$ OS,
the way my Compaq Presario 1277 was.  I tried putting Linux on it and
destroyed the disc contents so badly that Compaq had to send me a CD-ROM so
that I could reinstall Windows 98.   Compaq also told me that I could NOT
put Linux on that machine.  (You obviously could put Linux on other Compaq
machines, just not this one.)