Michael Leone on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:40:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 00:43, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 04:37:12PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > Because there are more who don't think like we do than there are those who
> > do think like we do. If there weren't, we'd have hundreds of people at
> > meetings, and Dell and Gateway would go bankrupt, since no one would buy
> > their pre-built systems.
>
> Like Digital.
>
> Your statement reminded me of something my brother-in-law, George, said.
> Some time ago, he and my sister had gotten a Digital (as in, "Digital
> Equipment Corporation") computer, Pentium-class I think.  His
> brother-in-law (*his* sister's husband), Dick, is a computer geek too
> and and is clueful.  George told me that one time when Dick was
> installing a hard drive in the old DEC Pentium box, he took the cover
> off their machine and was highly impressed.  He said something to the
> effect of, "Wow.  They don't make them like this anymore.  No wonder
> Digital went out of business."

Heh. Then again, DEC was never anywhere near the others in terms of
retail sales.

I suppose you could substitute Packard Bell for DEC. Which still
wouldn't invalidate my point.

> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Dept. of Roads, Hades.