Michael Leone on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:50:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] @home

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 12:55, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Just read the article which sheds some light on the philosophical issues,
> but I am still having trouble with the technical issue, i.e. when @home
> pulls the plug, will Comcast no longer have a legal and physical connection
> to the internet backbone?

Doesn't sound like it. Comcast is talking about making their own
backbone, to be ready by June.

> I use @home . . . at home.  Since I have POP service through my office, and
> don't use the @home POP for eMail, and my browser does not start with the
> Comcast home page, will I still have a connection?  Will I lose anything?

If @Home declares bankruptcy, they turn off their servers/routers, so
you would have no connection at all. Unless Comcast can get somebody
else to agree to do it for them, and have this new ISP do the servicing
of your account. And this new ISP would have to work with @Home, to
change the routing of your connection from @Home's network/routers to
the new ISP's.

I think.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Dept. of Roads, Hades.