gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:50:34 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 09:13:22AM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Not at all invasive. The main problem is that the screws on the board
> are funny-looking (not Phillips, not flat-head, not Allen),

That'd be Torx. It's pretty standard for computer parts they don't
want you getting into. Because there's this theory that only
licensed technicians have Torx screw drivers. By a set at
Microcenter for next time, they're cheap.

(If you ever want into an original Macintosh--the 128k, 512k,
Classic, whatever--you'll need a Torx.)

> but if you get the right flat-head screw-driver you can take them out.

Ewww... you didn't strip the heads, did you? Have to be really
careful about that.

> (it has a 'dip' style connector to the case of the disk, and also
> - in my Seagate SCSI case - three leads that go into what I think
> is the motor).

Also could be leads for the SCSI ID. (Typically that doesn't go
through the same channel as the data.)

Cheers...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter