Bill Jonas on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:00:33 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Re: @home

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:03:05AM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> But as a customer, I am having a hard time understanding exactly what the
> California Bankruptcy Judge gave the bondholders permission to shut
> off.  That is, what change will the customer see?

I *think* that Excite@Home is to Comcast as your ISP (Speakeasy, DCANet)
is to Covad.  That is, Comcast provides the pipe into your home and
@Home actually provides the connection from Comcast out to the internet,
as well as running mail, news, DNS, etc servers.  So if @Home were to
shut off Comcast, you'd still have a fast connection to Comcast, but
transport to the internet would simply be non-existant, as would email,
news and DNS.

Of course, I could be wrong on this, but this is how I envision the
setup, and it's correct as far as I understand.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html