LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:40:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Re: @home

Today's Inquirer has an article about Excite that they are going to stay
up for three more months.  I think the disadvantage of cable is that you
don't have a choice of ISP provider.  This I think is the downfall of
Excite@home for there was no competition for ISP's.  If other isp's
could get on the  system then there would be a bidding for your business
and you would not be paying the cable company directly for isp service,
but the isp.  They would then be the ones to contract the cable company
for cable internet service like the isp's contract Verizon and Covad to
provide DSL.

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:03:05AM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > But as a customer, I am having a hard time understanding exactly what the
> > California Bankruptcy Judge gave the bondholders permission to shut
> > off.  That is, what change will the customer see?
>
> I *think* that Excite@Home is to Comcast as your ISP (Speakeasy, DCANet)
> is to Covad.  That is, Comcast provides the pipe into your home and
> @Home actually provides the connection from Comcast out to the internet,
> as well as running mail, news, DNS, etc servers.  So if @Home were to
> shut off Comcast, you'd still have a fast connection to Comcast, but
> transport to the internet would simply be non-existant, as would email,
> news and DNS.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong on this, but this is how I envision the
> setup, and it's correct as far as I understand.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\