Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:36:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What's smime.p7s? (Was: Ginger)

I don't totally disagree, and the issue is not that big a deal for me.

At 11:50 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:24:47PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> >This is not an issue of secrecy, it's one of authentication.
> Right.  Is that important for list mail?

Authentication is always important.

I state this as a truism because I believe it as such. But as
justification... have you noticed that everyone just believes that
emails from a given email address really come from someone? Email is
the *easiest* of identity theft targets.

 All I have to do is know a
minimum of information about your dealings with some person (which
is easy, especially with email correspondents, because all of your
email correspondence is probably in clear text anyhow and reading
yours is some minimal verbal coercion away, even easier if I know
about the situation I want to affect, since I'm probably already
interested with in that situation), and I can impersonate you with
incredible ease.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in this sentence.

Even if I don't know him personally, I
know he's the same person I've seen send messages to PLUG and I know
we have an established relationship. It doesn't matter if he is who
he says he is, as long as he's said the same thing about who he is
all along, I know that whoever's saying the important thing to me is
the same person.

Good point.

> But sometimes I want to save the messages, especially if they address a
> problem similar to one I am experiencing.

If you're making a special effort to save it, then delete the
attachment out of it.

Easy to do, but my it's one more little thing to do and those little things add up.

While I never proposed that signatures were always unnecessary, I felt they were less important for correspondence of the sort we conduct on this list. And if I could eliminate one little bit of housekeeping. . .

Anyway, your above quoted point has convinced me that the value outweighs the annoyance.

Art

_____________________________________________________________________ Art Alexion mailto:arthur@alexion.com Arthur S. Alexion LLC http://www.alexion.com ---<>--- Click http://signature.coola.com/?arthur@alexion.com to put me in your Palm Address Book