Paul on Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:10:26 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for a 'computer science' textbook...

> A colleague here is teaching several bioinformatic courses, and
> asked me if I knew of any 'computer science' textbooks he could
> recommend to his students. Since I never learned any computer stuff
> in a 'formal' environment, I have no idea. Do you have any
> suggestions? He wants something that covers the basics (hardware,
> software, a bit of programming 'philosophy', maybe something that
> also touches databases, etc.). I know that one would usually use
> specific books/sources for each topic, but it's likely that there
> is a textbook out there that has a bit of everything bundled-up.

I bet it would be easier find good, individual books.

Cittone used a book called "Computers".  It looks like it covers a
wide range of topics, but I would be bored to tears reading it!  ISBN
0130962538

This is not really a text book, but Red Hat Linux 6 Unleashed covers
almost everything.  It's about three inches thick.  As far as
hardware goes, however, it only covers the OS's perspective.
Meaning, it doesn't show disk platters and memory modules.