Bill Jonas on Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:50:40 +0100

Re: [PLUG] mkfs questions...

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:13:02AM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Question(s). 1) Has anyone seen this before?

I've only experience really long mke2fs times when enabling the "quick"
(ha!) read-only test (see mke2fs(8), the -c option).

> 2) Did I screwed up by rebooting?

At worst, you probably just interrupted mkfs.  You probably didn't hurt
anything on the rest of the system.

> and 3) How should I do it properly, if what I did was wrong.

I've never used mkfs directly.  From looking at the man page and size
relative to all the other /sbin/mk*fs* executables, it would appear to
just be a wrapper which calls the fs-specific program (for example,
"mkfs -t msdos" probably just calls "/sbin/mkfs.msdos" with whatever
options you specify).

It looks like mkfs has a -c option as well.  Did you use this?  It takes
forever.

Could you provide the exact command you used, along with the output if
possible?

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html