Guillermo Moyna on Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:20:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] mkfs questions...

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:13:02AM -0400, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Question(s). 1) Has anyone seen this before?

I've only experience really long mke2fs times when enabling the "quick"
(ha!) read-only test (see mke2fs(8), the -c option).

Yeah, after reading a bit more, I realized I should have used mke2fs instead of mkfs. However, as you mentioned, mkfs is just a front-end that calls the appropriate mkfs.xxxx program. In my case, I think it took the 'ext2' from the type of partition I defined first with fdisk.

> 2) Did I screwed up by rebooting?

At worst, you probably just interrupted mkfs.  You probably didn't hurt
anything on the rest of the system.

I think things are OK, as I have access to both new disks, I can mount them across the network, and 'fsck -f' tells me that they are both fine (this takes forever, though). Now I only have to figure out a neat way of reeling copious amounts of IDE/SCSI/power cables cables into a mid-tower...

Thnx,

Guillermo

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu