Kevin Brosius on Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:40:08 +0100

Re: [PLUG] etags change my life

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I've been working with emacs for years and never realized how cool
> etags are. Just in case you have not seen the light, let me
> evangelize:
>
>     In the shell, go to your source directory and type
>
>         etags *c *h
>
>     or grab a whole hierarchy with find. Either way, you'll get a new
>     file called TAGS.
>
>     Now in emacs, type M-x . and off you go to the definition of the
>     thing you ask (default what's under the cursor). Also available is
>     M-x tags-search (search for use of something), with M-, continuing
>     the search. The search crosses all tagged files.
>
>     And there's also M-x tags-apropos, apropos on the names in your
>     project.

Depending on the version of ctags/etags, you can also do

ctags -e --recurse

to generate emacs (xemacs here) tags.  You're right, they are great.  In
xemacs you can also use a tags hierarchy.  Say for example you have a
large source code tree, and you have a few files you work on locally.
You can list the local file's tag file first, then the large source tree
tag file and xemacs will search them in order, so it uses your
modifications first.  Then it 'falls through' to the primary source
tree.
(The command is setq tab-table-alist ...  Thanks Frank!)

--
Kevin Brosius