Jeff Abrahamson on Sat, 8 Dec 2001 23:00:26 +0100

[PLUG] etags change my life

I've been working with emacs for years and never realized how cool
etags are. Just in case you have not seen the light, let me
evangelize:

    In the shell, go to your source directory and type

        etags *c *h

    or grab a whole hierarchy with find. Either way, you'll get a new
    file called TAGS.

    Now in emacs, type M-x . and off you go to the definition of the
    thing you ask (default what's under the cursor). Also available is
    M-x tags-search (search for use of something), with M-, continuing
    the search. The search crosses all tagged files.

    And there's also M-x tags-apropos, apropos on the names in your
    project.

This is gonna change my life.

[
  Members of the church of vi, see ctags. Use from within vi is left
  as an exercise. Etags works on many languages, but I'm using C
  tonight, but docs say it works on c++, perl, scheme (for you SICM
  fans ;-), tex, yacc, lisp, java, and on and on.
]

--
 Jeff

 Buy my boyfriend's new novel: The Big Book of Misunderstanding
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>