Bill Jonas on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:30:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:49:16PM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> Are there any Linux friendly ISPs around our area?

You might want to start by taking a look at
<http://www.phillylinux.org/isps/>.

> I would like to try out a free ISP too, but not sure if they are Linux
> friendly.

They generally require you to run their software, which displays ads, in
order to connect.  Guess who doesn't have a Linux version of their
software?  :)

You might want to consider a short essay at
<http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#linuxisp>.  The only pay ISP that I'm
aware of that you can't connect to with Linux is AOL.  You can even
connect to MSN using Linux, but you won't be able to get mail sent to
your msn.com account without using Outlook or OE.  (They use some sort
of proprietary "Secure Password Authentication" with POP3.  Outgoing is
standard SMTP, so you can send mail just fine.)  Personally, I've had
zero difficulties with Netaxs (full disclosure: a former employer) using
PAP/CHAP authentication.  (Much easier than trying to script it, as they
have two different menus for their dial-in terminal servers.)

Speakeasy.net was totally painless for me while using it.  Just set up a
static configuration and you're off and running.  @Home works fine too;
you just need to configure your DHCP client to send the hostname they
give you along with the standard DHCP query.

Hope that helps some.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html