multiple seriousity on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:30:15 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

> > I would like to try out a free ISP too, but not sure if they are Linux
> > friendly.
> They generally require you to run their software, which displays ads, in
> order to connect.  Guess who doesn't have a Linux version of their
> software?  :)

The only free ISPs that are left anymore:

NetZero (and they only let you have 10 free hours a month anymore.)

Address.com is SUPPOSED to have a free ISP but I was never able to get it
to work.. AND it made some annoying changes to my system that even
uninstalling didn't change back (when it can't find a webpage, it goes to
address.com and I don't know where the feature to change this back is.)

American Express - If you have an American Express card, I believe they
have a free ISP for cardholders.

> aware of that you can't connect to with Linux is AOL.  You can even

Why anybody would want to use AOL as an ISP is beyond me, actually, that's
not true... I've gotten extremely decent connections with AOL (during free
trials) where it would let me sit online for hours and hours on end,
without knocking me off for some mysterious reason, even when I wasn't
there.  However, AOL keeps raising their prices (about $23/24 now) -- if
you *really* want AOL content and community (community - the only real
reason to keep AOL) you should just sign up for another ISP and get AOL
BYOA (bring your own access) which is $9.95 a month, I believe. Of course,
all that is dependent on Windows (I havent bothered to check winehq for
aol compatibility)

In respone to some stuff about MSN and the need to use Outlook I deleted:

Actually a while back, MSN switched their email to hotmail and made it so
you couldnt use Outlook or OE anymore (there were some complaints and some
people were allowed to switch back, but new subcribers were shoved to
hotmail/passport.) MSN is strange.. then again so is MS... so big, one
hand doesnt know what the other is doing... MSN has a special version of
IE called MSN explorer.. and not letting you use their own email program?
Does that make ANY sense? (don't answer that.)

> static configuration and you're off and running.  @Home works fine too;

Not anymore it doesn't. ;)

The only real options for a 'free' ISP is to generally, run a windows box,
and hop back and forth between free trial periods and special promotions.

Other possibilities include:
packet radio (but there are rules about what content you send over the
public airwaves as an amateur radio operator.. not to mention the license
you need, and the equipment you must invest in.)

us (plug, or just some interested hobbyists) setting up either:

a Philadelphia Freenet (not neccessarily free, but low cost.)

a MAN (metropolitan area network) wireless or wired

a NEXUS/NAP (community access point)

If anybody is actually interested in these things, let me know..

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/