Mike Leone on Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:14:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

> Mike Leone wrote:
>
> > Another FYI ... you have to use PPPoE and a dynamic IP only because you
use
> > Verizon as an ISP. I have Verizon as a line provider, with DCA.NET as an
> > ISP, and there's no PPPoE, and I get 6 static IPs from DCA. It all
depends
> > on your ISP.
>

> I was just thinking of making that switch. The PPPoE stuff works fine, but
6

> static IPs would be MUCH better. So you have had good luck with the
> DCA/Verizon combination?

Yep. I have very few connection problems, and when I do, DCA leans on
Verizon to correct it (it's almost always Verizon's fault ...), and Tech
Support is quite helpful (altho they still haven't answered my request for
more Linux newsgroups; you listening, Andrew White?  j/k :-), and the static
IPs are quite useful for connecting back home (via SSH) from work.

Some days I SSH into home, and do remote apt-get update/upgrades, and
upgrade my Debian box during the day, so it doesn't cut into my bandwidth
when I'm home and want to use it. And I do get 60K transfer speeds as a
general rule (on a 640/90 line).