pinkee on Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:20:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:19:31AM -0800, JP Toto wrote:
> While we're on the subject... some folks were asking
> about DSL a while back. I've been using Verizon
> (PPPoE) for about a month now with great results. Im
> in Conshohocken and I really haven't had any downtime.
> I use smoothwall and run all kinds of clients behind
> it with no problem at all. Speed is good. No static IP
> but Im just happy with the bandwidth. Just and FYI.

Just a word of warning, they periodically change the dns info. This
makes it possible to connect with Roaring Penguin, but then you can't go
anywhere... I suggest doing a google search for Verizon DNS so you can
keep a list to try. I called tech support once when this happened and
they informed me that their propietary pppoe dhcp cliet doesn't use dns.
The on duty manager confirmed this miracle. I then had a friend do the
above search and was ready to go. If by some miracle you get a linux
friendly tech get e-mail addresses. It is your only hope if you ever
need it. I lost mine...

I did have excellent uptime and since Verizon hasn't mastered rate
limiting, was doubling the speeds I paid for. I have solved all these
issues by moving into a dca fed home. :)

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org
www.mydarlingchild.com