LeRoy Cressy on Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:50:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Addition to PLUG FAQ; ESR on smart question-asking

A few thoughts:

Those of us who have been using Linux from the 1.0.x and before are the
ones who have blazed the trail making Linux what it is today.  When
Linux was being worked on in the early 90's, IBM was trying to sell its
OS2 and there was the NEXT computers with a store just south of City
Hall.  Also there was DRDOS, Geoworks and some other good competition to
the ``Evil Empire'' commonly referred to as M$.  Needless to say all of
these ventures have fallen by the wayside not because they weren't any
good, but because of the marketing genius of Bill Gates.

The technologies I mentioned above are IMHO superior to what M$ was
offering at the time, but some of the companies who brought these
superior technologies are no longer with us.  We are the only
competition that M$ is concerned with.  Because of the path that we have
blazed Linux is now becoming marketed as a main stream product on the
Television by IBM.  Even Apple has seen the light an is marketing OSX
which is BSD with a fancy front end.  X Window System happens to be
included with the distribution.

We need to welcome the new converts from the Windows world with open
arms.  Though their questions are extremely elementary to us, they still
need to be answered.  Blowing them off with ridicule could send new
Linux convert back to M$.  We haven't been fighting the M$ brigade all
this time to concede defeat on the desktop.  We know that we have a
superior system with more options, choices, and features than M$ will
ever have.  We have better file systems, and a system that will not
crash.

There are a number of new Linux users that have never compiled a kernel,
never thought of partitioning schemes, or even setting up user accounts
with their own home directory.  The new convert from the windows world
is faced with a new world of passwords, and things that are totally
foreign to their way of using a computer.  How many Windows users click
cancel at the network login prompt not even knowing what they are
doing.  These are the ones who need to be held by the hand and shown a
better way of computing.  When the new Linux user sees that there is a
virtual desktop at her disposal, and she can start one thing and start
working on something else without the confounded hour glass preventing
them from doing anything.  These are the ones who will begin by asking
specific questions based on their distribution, for they don't realize
that once they have mastered the basic concepts of UNIX the importance
of the distribution specific tools disappears.

Growing from the Linux raw recruit to someone who has a deep
understanding about the UNIX concept takes time.  If we give these new
Linux users the time that they need to grow the Linux community will
also grow making us a stronger David for Goliath to fight.

Mike Leone wrote:

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <