gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:30:22 +0100

Re: Hurd (was: Re: [PLUG] resizing ext3fs?)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:32:09AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> Make that, "Linux is no more of an operating system than *Hurd* is". :-/

And here I was going to do the replacement the other way around. ;^>

Fine then, but Linux is more of a (multi-user, fully-implemented)
kernel than the Hurd is. Unless things have drastically changed
since the "What, you want to USE the processor? Foolish mortal!
Segmentation fault," days.

(I'll grant it's been three years since I had any interaction with a
machine trying to boot the behemoth, but I'd have figured I'd read a
"Hey, the Hurd boots!" post on /.)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:10:01PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Heh. Ironically enough, Google just expanded their Usenet
> posts back to 1981, including the one in which Linus Torvald
> announces his "pet project" to the world:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1991Oct5.054106.4647%40klaava.Helsinki.FI&output=gplain

Heh. Saw that the other day via cypherpunks. Along with the first
mention of the "cypherpunk" term on Usenet (about seven months prior
to the initiation of what we now know as cypherpunks) by way of
making fun of the Washington Post for having printed the word
"cyperpunk".

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net