Bill Jonas on Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:11:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Internet Script (For Windows 2000)

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:11:47PM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> Is there a way to make a windows script or automate this task, so If I
> click on an ICON it does all this for me?

If there's a command-line ssh client for Windows, you could create a
batch file containing something like this:

@echo off
ssh -c "sudo wvdial & sudo route add default ppp0"

If you're a programmer, you could grab the putty source from
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/> and hack together a
solution from that.  Or a telnet-based solution might be even simpler,
since it would all be on your local network.  (Just be sure you don't
have telnetd listening on ppp0 on your gateway.)

On the other hand, perhaps a dial-on-demand solution would work just as
well with less bother.  The traditional way to do this in Linux is with
diald; try the HOWTO at
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Diald-HOWTO.html>.  There's also another
document I found at <http://www.zeuter.com/~tburden/linux/> that might
be of some help.  Note that I've never used diald or the other document,
so I can't comment on how good they are.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html