Guillermo Moyna on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:40:12 +0100

[PLUG] Dual processor box using only one processor

Hi gang,

I have three dual processor boxes with the 2.2.16-3smp kernel installed (RH 6.1). The three are identical, because I created them by using 'dd' from one of HDD into the other two. Meaning, their configurations are cloned, which means they are the same (I only changed their IP addresses).

Here's the problem. I realized that one of the machines reports only one processor, both during boot and using xosview. My question is, could an SMP kernel still chug along happily with a fried processor on the motherboard?

TIA,

Guillermo
+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu