Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 25 Dec 2001 19:43:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] interesting experiment

I understand Gabriel, and agree that, unless your web site is of the art gallery genre, the primary goal should be to make it as accessible to as many browsers as possible. I try to keep copies of as many browsers as possible so that I can test a page before posting it. One of the "evils" of a monopoly is that it stands the idealized vision of the market on its head. Microsoft, as producer, no longer needs to design its product to please the consumer. Rather, the consumer, left with fewer choices, must adapt to the available product.

art
gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:55:59 -0500
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] interesting experiment

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:12:29PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
I use Opera a lot, and had been led to believe that it was relatively
high in standards compliance. The article points out that MS was
disengenuous in blaming Opera blocking on lack of standards compliance
since MSN, itself, is not compliant. It doesn't address whether the MS
statement was also false with regard to the extent of Opera's
compliance. Does anyone know?

First off, and this isn't a rant focused on you, Arthur, at all: it's kind of irrelevant, imho. The point of HTML standards, as the W3C has been writing them for eight years or so no, is that they degrade gracefully. Even if you have a non-standards-compliant browser, you'll be able to get some kind of content (provided that content at least partly comprises regular text and images; don't get me started on flash). It may not follow the "design spec" of the company that created the web page, but creating web pages to such an exacting design spec is ludicrous based on the history and functionality of HTML and its kin today. If I'm using, say, Netscape 1.1N on a mac, I'm probably doing it because I want to, and it's really not the web page's business to refuse to serve me. (It's welcome to take the time to browser detect, but it's default can't be "We won't help you, sucker!") It's just going to make me shrug and not bother if someone tells me "you can't see this with your browser." This is why any browser-based detection is moronic and irritating.

With that said, Opera Software is glad to answer your question in
excruciating detail:

 http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/

--
gabriel rosenkoetter