Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 06:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

> Is the KDE client or GAIM better?

The official KDE client is kit.  I personally prefer Kinkatta
(http://kinkatta.sourceforge.net/) as it feels and behaves much more
like the official AIM.  I've used GAIM before, and it works just fine as
well.  However personally I find that Kinkatta integrates much more
nicely with the rest of my KDE-based setup.

(Note: if you are just starting to use Kinkatta, you probably want to
skim the developer mailing list [see the sf site].  The tarball version
[1.00 i believe] and prior may have problems connecting to AIM servers,
thanks to AOL creating a list of "authorized clients".  There is a
one-line patch that can be applied to the 1.0 sources or to the CVS tree
to overcome this.  E-mail me and I'll try to find it for you.)

You'll find that none of these clients (even the official AOL version)
will be able to use some of the more advanced features of the TOC or
OSCAR protocols, like sending files or doing voice chat.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com