gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:20:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] NFS Question

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:38:45PM -0500, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> I got everything to work except for one thing.  I can mount on the AIX box
> fine, but once I umount from the AIX box, the Linux box still lists the share
> as busy and cannot unmount the CDROM locally.

What does showmount on the Linux machine say?

What version NFS client and server are involved? (Protocol v2 and
v3 have some incompatibilities that make themselves known in ways
like this; you can force the server to be one or the other, and you
can *probably* force the client similarly. v2 is probably sufficient
for your application.)

> For the record, I am mounting the CDROM on the Linux box, then mounting the
> mount point on the AIX box.

Try doing the NFS mount one level higher.

That is, have /dev/cdromN on the Linux machine mounted at
/cdroms/specific and, instead of putting linux:/cdroms/specific
/specific in your AIX [v]fstab (is AIX is SysV-derived?), put
linux:/cdroms /cdroms there.

It's quite possible that there are incompatibilities between Linux
and AIX implementations even of the same version of the NFS
protocol. If so, send bug reports to the most wrong. (Check the
relevant RFCs before you point fingers.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net