Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:40:16 +0100

RE: [PLUG] interesting experiment

I use Opera a lot, and had been led to believe that it was relatively high in standards compliance. The article points out that MS was disengenuous in blaming Opera blocking on lack of standards compliance since MSN, itself, is not compliant. It doesn't address whether the MS statement was also false with regard to the extent of Opera's compliance. Does anyone know?

art

Bob Razler wrote:

Although Microsoft denies the fact that it blocks any browsers except
for Opera, it most clearly does. Initial testing by Ars member Geon
shows Lynx, Mozilla, and Konqueror are all rejected by MSN. However,
when the headers in Konqueror are changed to: "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 95)" MSN happily accepts the
connection. It appears Microsoft is lying about the browsers it
blocks, as well as the real reasons behind blocking them. As we can
see from the HTML Validator, MSN is not standards complaint.