Kevin Brosius on Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:10:38 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Dumb (?) drive question

Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> Jon Roig wrote:
>
> > Hey all...
> >
> > I'm fairly new to the world of linux... and although I've been pretty
> > pleased with myself for figuring out everything so far, this one has me
> > stumped.
> >
> > I'm using suse 7.2 and I've filled up one of my drives -- particularly the /
> > partition. So... I installed a spankin' new 20 gig drive and got it
> > formatted, mounted, etc...
> >
> > Here's my question -- how the heck do I move that partition?
> >

> You don't. The root partition is not to be moved. What you CAN do, is
> move /usr/ or /usr/local/ off of the / partition and onto their own
> partition (possibly on the new disk). However, as far as I know, this
> cannot be done without a reinstall. Anyone know of a way to do this
> without blowing everything away and doing it again?

Welll.... It depends on how careful you are, and how much you want to
learn.  Do you plan on taking the old disk out, or just using space on
the new disk?  Also, is your boot loader installed on the old disk?

I've moved my / partition across a couple disks, and it's not impossible
but you need to be careful.  As long as you are careful, you really
can't get in much trouble.  One of the first things you do is make a
full copy of your old disk on the new one.  As long as you get that
right, and are careful not to write anything to the old disk, you have a
full backup to work with, so you can mess around with the new copy all
you want.

Also, several people have mentioned using tar, but there used to be
problems with tar and some directory entries in the / tree, so the
recommended practice is to use cpio instead.  (This may have been
resolved, it's been a couple years since I read up on it.)

--
Kevin Brosius