gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:20:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Linux Friendly ISPs

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:02:24PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Which raises the question: Like Typhoid Mary, can we, Linux users, pass
> on a virus without ourselves becoming infected?

Of course, but not without some agency on our part.

This isn't restricted to Linux (or even to Unix-like operating
systems), but to any MUA that's not Outlook [Express]. The point is
that MS MUAs open, load, and (potentially) execute attachments
without the explicit bidding of the user. This is all it takes to do
the wrong thing, and it'd be quite easy to write an MUA for Linux
that did the same thing.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net