Gregory T. Weber on Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:31:51 -0500

Re: [PLUG] CD Won't Play

Some more information.

Originally, I ran setup and configured the sound.  No problems here.

Geoff suggested

> Maybe the mixer volume for CD is too low?  (kmix??, aumix, etc to set).
> I'm currently using IDE-SCSI emulation for my cd's (cd-rw/cd), and it works
> very nicely for me under that mode even.

I ran aumix and the volume seems fine.

Bill Suggested that it could be a permission problem.  I played around with
permissions for a while but had no luck. turgon@dca.net asked if I was using
xmms.  I'm just using the KDE CD Player.

Here's some more information.  I gave webergt the disk group.
Obviously I am not an expert.  Thanks for your suggestions so far.  I have an
Acer 1208a CDRW which happily worked under RH 7.1 for burning and playing.

[webergt@dngler dev]$ ls -l | grep scd0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Dec 17 18:34 cdrom -> /dev/scd0
brw-------    1 webergt  disk      11,   0 Aug 30 16:30 scd0
[webergt@dngler dev]$

[webergt@dngler dev]$ ls -l | grep hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Aug 30 16:30 hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   1 Aug 30 16:30 hdc1

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd1,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb5
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.9-13)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-13 ro root=/dev/hdb5 hdc=ide-scsi noathlon
        initrd /initrd-2.4.9-13.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hdb5 hdc=ide-scsi noathlon
        initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img
title DOS
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1