Michael F. Robbins on Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:30:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] raid question

On Sat, 2001-12-22 at 14:25, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> does the component disks in a raid has to be partition type
> FD (linux raid) or can they just be plain 83 (ext2)?

The specific partitions that are to become part of the RAID array should
be of partition type FD.  On boot, the md code reads the partition
tables, and for any FD partitions, activates the RAID partition
contained within. This can otherwise be done manually with the
"raidstart" command.

[Technical note: Each RAID partition stores a superblock at the top of
its space, followed by the actual contents of the partition.  The
superblock contains knowledge of which physical partitions are involved,
and the state of the RAID: clean or not]

What you'll end up with is now a device /dev/md0, which is like a
virtual partition of its own.  Any data written to it is written to both
of the real FD marked partitions.  You can create any filesystem under
this device:
	mke2fs [choose your options] /dev/md0
Or ext3, reiserfs... whatever you want.  The disk utilities treat it as
any old partition.

Now in /etc/fstab, you'll want something like this:
/dev/md0	/mnt/raid	ext2	defaults	1 2
Also look at the file /etc/raidtab.

Of course, you can run the RAID as your root filesystem.  This can get a
bit tricky, but it's the setup I use on two of my systems.

Good luck.
Mike