William Shank on Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:52:15 -0500

[PLUG] need to resize partition

i ran out of space on / (only 240M partitioned) - but the /opt dir has 90M,
so I'd like to move it onto it's own partition. the /var slice has lots of
room (dedicated 1G, only using 100M).

how can I unmount /var, split it, and remount /var and mount /opt on the
other slice?

I know linux has a partion splitting util and RH7.2 has a graphical
partioning tool, but can these be undestructive? will it work with ext3? how
can I umnount /var, says it's busy - i guess with httpd, and lpd, anything
else?

thanks

-chris