Kevin D. McAllister on Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:17:22 -0500

Re: [PLUG] need to resize partition

In my experience parted is not always destructive.  It depends on what
you are doing and where your partitions are located.  For example I
had a 9 GB drive which was only about 25% utilized it was one big DOS
partition (for win2k), I shrunk that partition by 50% and created a
new partition for FreeBSD on that machine with no ill-effects to the
win2k environment or its data.

Of course if memory serves your situation was a little more
complicated so you probably needed to preserve your data prior to
making the changes.