Paul on Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:50:18 +0100

[PLUG] specifying a port

How does one specify not only the IP address of a printer, but also a
port number?

Here's the situation: I want to be able to print to a remote
location, throught the Internet, using port forwarding to redirect
the print job to the print server.

The main remote server is a Linux-based Netwinder and the print
server is an external HP box.  I wanted to point that out before I
mention that I need to send the print job from a Windows PC.  How do
I tell the PC to send a print job to a specific port?

Would a VPN be overkill for this situation?

Covad would have us believe that we will need to lease another IP
address to get remote printing to work.  They claim that there are
problems mixing public addresses with translated addresses and that
it's related to PPPoE.  I can't say for sure, but I think they just
want to make more money off of leasing the additional IP(s).

What would a LUG do?