LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:20:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] ppp trouble

why not do an ifconfig to find out what devices youh are utilizing and
what the address is.  ifconfig is usually stored in /sbin so you will
have to use the complete path as shown:

	/sbin/ifconfig -v

Now I am using a dsl connection through ethernet and ifconfig shows that
I am using eth0 but there is no device in /dev for any of the eth*
devices.  I'm a little fuzzy about the networking devices, but it seem
that with the newer kernels they are not listed in /dev but are still
part of the kernels routing table.  As long as ppp0 and other networking
devices are part of the kernels routing table the utilities that utilize
the devices should work fine.

(Don't even try to ask me why)

John Lavin wrote:

> Hmmm - I'm connected now and its still not there.
>
> I'll give wvdial a try.  I did have KPPP working on the same hardware, but I
> needed to reinstall a distro after doing some nasty things to my system so it
> hasn't been quite right since then.
>
> On Saturday 29 December 2001 05:35, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> > Yes, ppp0 is created on the fly. I never did like to use KDE's KPPP, check
> > out "wvdial". Usually you won't get problems like this. BTW, did PPP work
> > for you before, and make sure you have a compatable modem :-)
> >
> --
> John Lavin
> jlavin@ccil.org
>
> previously: