Gerald D. Neale on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:00:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!

Red Hat is starting to utilize apt-get
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/scripts/apt-rpm.html

Isn't it great how ideas spread in open-source?
Jerry
--- Rich 'Forge' Mingin <forge@dca.net> wrote:
> In the beginning, Yog made apt. After that, he went
> on to lesser tasks, like
> Creation.
>
> Seriously, though, apt has changed the way I work
> with Linux. I have half a
> dozen machines doing various jobs around here, and
> keeping all the security
> updates applied, plus keeping the packages up to
> date, was impossible. Now I
> can sit down with half a dozen ssh sessions and
> update everything in half an
> hour, tops. That's 5 minutes of logging in and
> starting, 5 minutes of
> closing windows, and 20 minutes of coffee and
> smokes.
>
> RPM wishes it could be APT.
>
> Rich 'Forge' Mingin
>
> > <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!
> > <Darxus:#plug> just discovered apt for the 1st
> time ?
> > <compumike:#plug> yup...my 1st time ;-)
> > <Darxus:#plug> heh
> > <Darxus:#plug> mind if I post this conversation to
> the list ?
> > <compumike:#plug> heh...i guess its ok
> >
> > apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > ^ this command line upgrades every package that's
> installed to the
> > current version, downloading packages from the
> debian archive.
> >
> > apt-get update ; apt-get install packagename
> >
> > ^ will download packagename and everything it
> depends on, and install it.
> > If the package is already installed, it will
> upgrade it to the current
> > version.
> >
> > Note that I was able to correctly guess why mike
> liked debian so much
> > suddenly before he told me.  I've heard this
> reaction many many times.
> >
> > <compumike:#plug> i've been a redhat man all along
> > <compumike:#plug> thought i was all cool with my
> rpms and lots of --force
> and --nodeps...
> > <compumike:#plug> but now i've seen the light!!!
> > <compumike:#plug> so is that enough promo-worthy
> material right there?
> >

> > I figured this might get a couple more people to
> try debian, to see the
> > beauty that is apt.
> >
> > --
> > "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is
> very important that
> > you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi
> > http://www.ChaosReigns.com

=====
The Cherry hill Linux User's Group
meets on the first Monday of every month.
http://www.chlug.org