John Lavin on Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:12:22 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: ppp trouble

I'm happy to report success with wvdial!  I'm connected now with it.

After running wvdialconf - the /etc/wvdial.conf was missing the following key
line (for me anyway):

Stupid Mode=yes

With this line added, wvdial doesn't attempt to log in before starting the
ppp daemon, it starts it right away.  With my pap-secrets file set up and the
/etc/ppp/options file marked with the line
+pap

...I was all set.  No more error messages and disconnects!

Chuck gave me a big hint by indicating the timeout for pap authentication
before going to rlogin.  pppd wasn't starting until after the timeout.  By
the time wvdial started pppd, it was already too late.  Enter Stupid Mode.
When wvdial is in Stupid Mode , it doesn't guess what it has to do next and
just starts the daemon which is all I needed it to do.

Thanks to all that helped me out.
-john

--
John Lavin