William Shank on Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:15:50 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Debian specs?

 if i get the latest stable release of debian, what kernel does it use by
default? does that kernel have usb, firewire, fb, journaled fs support, or
will i need to create a custom kernel to get this. i've never had a lot of
success creating my own kernels, so this is source of concern for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred K Ollinger
To: 'plug@lists.phillylinux.org'
Sent: 1/3/02 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Debian specs?

> All this talk about how the greatness of debian has prompted me to
look into
> trying it. What I'd like to find is a quick summary of supported
features
> (ie: kernel version, usb, firewire, smp, gnome/kde, ide-scsi,
journaled fs,
> video cards, XF86 version, etc). I've looked at debian.org and found a
> package listing, but can't find a concise summary. anyone know where I
might
> find such a thing?

I don't understand. Do you mean pre-compiled kernels? As a debian
enthusist, I'd have to admit that kernel are about equal in most
distros.
Debian shines in it's package management. You can pick risky or
stability,
or in b/w. Set-up is a bit harder, but fairly easy if you have installed
linux before and if you know your way around cli and etc. You may use
XF86Config from rh for example.

Fred