Flint Heart on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:08:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] File Recovery using Linux

> I don't have a Win2K NTFS partition handy to verify, but I know that was the
> advice given on one of my other mailing lists, when others had problems
> accessing Win2K partitions.
>
> You're right; FAT32 is easier/better for situations like this. However, NTFS
> partitions are generally better for Win systems (journalling, ACLs, etc -
> none of which FAT32 does).

Yeah I was going to try out of curiosity but remembered i finaly deleted my
work win partitions so I no longer had anything handy here to test...
I'm pretty sure reads work under win2k ...(although not well)  from my
google searchs looks like write was able to be enabled on some older 2.4
kernels but has been disabled for some later ones when mounting win2000
ntfs partitions. (thats how bad support is I guess)  Oh well... The box we
recovered the password from was nt4...  Just move the disk to a linux box
and read mount it.

just looked at

Posted By: antona
Date: 2001-11-10 10:00
Summary:Linux-NTFS 1.4.0 (stable) released

This is a big update and all existing users should upgrade. New features
include support for Windows XP NTFS partitions (ntfsfix) and creation of
small NTFS partitions (mkntfs), e.g. so you can create NTFS floppies (note,
Windows does not normally support NTFS floppies but Linux does)

I'd be interested on hearing if after you back up your data if you can
recover stuff by using write support... If ntfsfix works for newer ntfs
someone should give it a try and see if it works. if you can write run
ntfsfix after the write and let windows chkdisk afterwords...

Laters

N-Tropy