gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 5 Jan 2002 05:10:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Migrating GnuPG data

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 09:44:42PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Copying the files is all you need to do.  Make sure the permissions
> are set the same on the old and new files, and on ~/.gnupg/
>
> Something like
>
> cp -va /old/home/dir/.gnupg ~
>
> should be all you need to do.

Doing this between different hosts works just fine too, btw.

(I keep the same key on my home machine and on my DNS/MX machine...
uh, which is also at home now, though it hasn't always been.)

rsync does a pretty good job of copying these more quickly
(especially useful if one of the machines is on a significantly
slower connection). You will, of course, need to import new keys to
both or synchronize them by hand. (I guess the Right way to do this
would be to export your key ring on one machine and import it on the
other... and if neither key ring is a subset of the other, that's
definitely what you want to do.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net