LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:14:51 +0100

Re: [PLUG] File Recovery using Linux

Adam Van Antwerp wrote:

> I will keep this short and simple,
>
> 1)M$ 2000 box with lost Admin password, will not logon to pdc either
> 2)Can I make a boot disk with NTFS and network support to recover some files

I'm not familier with M$ 2K but I think that linux bootable disk with a
custom kernel will allow you to mount the desired partition and save the
files.  another method would be to use a rescue floppy with a custom
floppy that will allow you not only mount the ntfs partition in
question, and then you could make a *.tgz file with the files that you
want to save.  Also at the same time you might be able to edit the
password file if possible and remove the root password.  I know that you
can do this with UNIX even with shadow support, so I guess that you
might be able to do it with Win 2K.

As far as the networking support you need to include the items for your
hardware into the kernel like the ethernet card along with the other
networking support that you need.

> ?
>                        All suggestions welcome.......
>
> Adam Van Antwerp