Mike Leone on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:00:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] File Recovery using Linux

> there are several linux boot disks i've seen that reset the password for
> you... I did a quick google search and came up with
> http://www.nttoolbox.com/
> under downloads there is a linux boot disk to reset the nt password.
We've
> used it at work before to recover a box.  There might be better ones out
> there than this one.  I personaly haven't tried this boot disk, The site I
> got the one I used is down presently.

The NTFS support in Linux isn't supposed to cover Win2K's version of NTFS
(v5, I believe). However, with a DOS boot disk, and the RO NTFS driver
available from http://www.sysinternals.com, you might be able to copy off
the SAM, and run L0phtcrack on the SAM, and get back your Admin password. I
did the same thing with an NT machine once; had a buddy of mine help me
recover a lost Admin password on NT 4.