gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:10:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] e-mail server

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 12:28:32AM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> I would check out sendmail (http://www.sendmail.org). I agree with Gabriel
> Rosenkoetter, Postfix can't handle loads like that. Sendmail has been
> proved to run large corporate mail servers.

That's not what I said and, in fact, I know that Postfix *can*
handle loads upwards of 10,000 users. Sendmail can still do some
rule-based stuff that Postfix just can't. If you need that, then
either go with Sendmail (probably faster) or do it by way of
procmail and another MTA.

If you had troubles with Postfix handling load, they were probably
configuration errors. Postfix not only scales well on a single
server, but works beautifully in an enviroment with many Unix-based
hosts, as you can run the postdrop utility on each of the hosts
which offloads much of the mail workload to individual workstations.
Mail is then passed back to the central Postfix server in batch and
routed from there.

The difference between Sendmail and almost any other MTA is that
where Sendmail's configuration files are horribly cryptic, those of
Postfix (and exim, and qmail) are simple, clear, and easy to deal
with. Barring the need for some specific, obscure Sendmail feature,
I really can't understand why anyone is using the old beast any
more. (I feel the same way about BIND 8, but the appropriate BIND 8
replacement happens to be called BIND 9... the situation is similar,
though, as 9 is a complete rewrite.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net