gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:00:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] OT: Colleges

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:29:54AM -0500, Tim Peeler wrote:
> I want a program that does more than just teach various languages,
> I want something that has more to do with advanced topics and theory
> not just practical application (though practical application is needed).

Not sure where this falls in your other considerations, but
Swarthmore College has a small but good computer science program
that grew out of the mathematics department. The chair, Charles
Kelemen (cfk@cs.swarthmore.edu; yes he'll probably respond to
questions, and may well know better about other schools in the area
too) is a mathematician at heart and broke off from the math
department as it seemed a more appropriate way to offer theory of
computation and algorithms courses.

Swarthmore also has good computer-not-math stuff: networking, both
theory (which I guess is actually math-not-computer, but whatever)
and practice, with Ali Erkan, erkan@cs.swarthmore.edu; operating
systems and databases with Tia Newhall, newhall@cs.swarthmore.edu;
AI with Lisa Meeden, meeden@cs.swarthmore.edu; and graphics/vision
with Bruce Maxwell, maxwell@swarthmore.edu (actually a member of the
engin department, technically). Oh, and a really good robotics
program with Lisa and Bruce working together.

I'm biased, of course. I'm graudating from Swarthmore with a BA (no,
it's not a BS; only the engineering department gives a BS) in June.

Feel free to bug me (privately or publicly, as you see fit) if you
want more detail on any of that (but be aware that I've only dealt
with the robot people peripherally).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net