Adam Van Antwerp on Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:04:01 -0500

RE: [PLUG] /dev/audio on mandrake 8.1, permission problem?

i had to change the permissions of /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer on woody to allow
a non-root user to listen to music I did chmod 666  on both not sure if that
is absolutley correct but it works for me

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of cf so
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:21 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] /dev/audio on mandrake 8.1, permission problem?

I am a newbie, and this question might seems stupied,
hope someone can help me out.
I tried to mpg123 some music but it don't work, then i
ran xinit and mpg123 the same music file and it works.
So, i found the pattern, /dev/audio works if the X is
on. so i tried to reboot and tried that again to see
if this is the case. But it seems to be not, because i
can't access the /dev/audio any more. it seems to be a
permission problem. i tried the sndconfig, too. but i
said aomething about access to /dev/audio's permission
denied.

thanks,
socf