gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:11:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /dev/audio on mandrake 8.1, permission problem?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:03:41AM -0500, Adam Van Antwerp wrote:
> i had to change the permissions of /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer on woody to allow
> a non-root user to listen to music I did chmod 666  on both not sure if that
> is absolutley correct but it works for me

If you always use X and will always be logged in when you want
access to these devices, you might try just changing the *ownership*
of the device nodes on login using /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/{Give,Take}Console
(or whatever's appropriate for your display manager; kdm has similar
config files, I believe). Giving ownership of console devices to
the console user is the reason those scripts exist.

Also, it'd be lower impact to make the devices only group writeable
by some group (say, audio) and putting yourself in that group.

If this is a single-user system, of course, all of this is just
semantics.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net