cf so on Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] /dev/audio on mandrake 8.1, permission problem?

> > i had to change the permissions of /dev/dsp and
> /dev/mixer on woody to allow
> > a non-root user to listen to music I did chmod 666
>  on both not sure if that
> > is absolutley correct but it works for me

The problem is that Mandrake 8.1 uses something called
devfs,and the /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer seems to be
localed at /dev/sound/dsp and /dev/sound/mixer and it
seems to crate a link at /dev/ whenever the moduled
and working. I tried to make a symbolic link
/dev/audio pointing at /dev/sound/audio. don't work,
not even root. yesterday i tried to reinstall devfsd
using madrake rpm package, all midi and sound stuff
works right after the reinstallion, but after reboot,
it say permission denied again. it kind of depend on
the mood on my computer, some time the /dev/audio
works but the sequencer don't, and sometime, both
don't work.
um... i am puzzled.

thanks
socf