LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] And speaking of installing Debian ...

What I ment was using any of the Internet protocols like ftp, rsync,
http, or using any of the mirror programs.  Getting anything through the
Internet is slow, but with hte emergence of dsl and cable the speed is
greatly increased.

One of the things about Debian is that they use http as a default for
apt-get.  You can change it to whatever you want.

Mike Leone wrote:

> >> Uhhmm ... what? Every distribution I've ever used (RH, Mandrake, Debian,
> >> Slackware) all came with server packages included. I've never had to
> fetch
> > >packages off the web to install a web or ftp server.
>
> >And, hopefully, never had to "fetch packages off the web" at all,
> >being as HTTP is a woefully slow protocol.
>
> >Or did you actually mean s,web,Internet,?
>
> Heh. No, the original quotation (from LeRoy) said "off of the web", so I
> just continued using it. I presumed he really meant off the Internet, in one
> fashion or another.

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <