gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:45:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs question

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:37:44PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> 	I usually don't mess w/ Gabriel, but in this case I have to
> differ. I think that -J _is_ useful. Can't you get both joliet and rocky
> ridge? In that case, this is the way to go. Too many people w/ win might
> want to see the cd. Even if you like to spread oss, it's better to show
> them that things can work (somewhat) seamlessly.

I said what I did because I have yet to encounter a version of
Windows which does not understand the Rock Ridge extensions.

Which versions do not?

As Tim Peel seemed to suggest, there may be some versions of Windows
that are moderately braindamaged when it comes to RR extensions,
but even they can be made to cooperate with translation tables (the
-T flag to mkisofs).

I still say that you don't actually *need* Joliet. (And, in the
original posters case, the chances that his family is running
something less than Win98 are slim. Win98 definitely groks RR.)

I note that no one has pointed out that there is no way to have long
file names on an ISO-9660 CD show up if you are using Mac OS earlier
than a certain version. (I think the first to support it was 8.1, but
don't quote me on that. When support was added, though, it included
RR extensions.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net